Did You Know?
• The brain is the most complex organ in the universe.
• It has 100 billion neurons.
• Trillions of connections to other cells.
• The human brain can process information as fast as 268 mph.
• There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in the brain.
• Each person has about 70,000 thoughts a day, 50 percent in words and 50 percent in images.
• While awake, a human brain can generate enough energy to power a light bulb (between 10-23 watts).
• It’s a myth that we only use 10 percent of the brain. A loss of 90 percent of its function would likely result in being in a vegetative state or deceased.
• We need and use all our brain – although we aren’t using every neuron at every moment.
• When the brain is healthy, you have more brain reserve. This protects you from developing dementia, but diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity can hurt the brain and increase your chances of getting dementia.
Consider taking a brain health assessment to determine areas of improvement. The Cleveland Clinic Brain Check-up is a free online self-assessment at: